Monday, August 8, 2011

Seitan Gyros with Cucumber Sauce

Does anyone else love Greek food as much as I do? Spinach pie, kalamata olives, tzatziki sauce- I can't get enough. So of course, I've been missing the ever-popular GYRO dish since becomming a vegetarian. Thank Zeus I found this recipe for vegetarian gyros!


I was thinking since my last post about trying Seitan for the first time (view it here) that the texture is very appetizing, and I thought I could use it in a gyro as a lamb meat substitute. Fortunately, the internet agreed with me, and I was able to find a DELICIOUS recipe for VEGAN Seitan Gyros!
Make it yourself for dinner tonight, click here to view the original recipe!

I decided to make a few substitutions to this recipe, unvegan-izing it. To read my adapted recipe using Greek Yogurt and fewer ingredients, click the jump!

For the sauce

  • 1 cup Greek Yogurt (fat free, high in protein!)
  • 1/2 large cucumber, peeled and grated (Yes, grated. I know it's really strange)
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • fresh ground pepper, to taste
  • 1 teaspoon sugar (to taste)

For the seitan

  • 1 lb seitan, broken apart into bite-size pieces
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced (Make sure they're smaller cloves, mine were wayyy to big and it made the dish extremely garlicy!)
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 2 teaspoons oregano
  • 1 pinch cinnamon
  • 1 pinch nutmeg
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
  • salt & freshly ground black pepper

For the sandwich

  • 6 pieces pita bread, warmed

Directions:

1.Peel and grate the cucumber. Put the grated cucumber into a strainer and set in the sink for 10 minutes to drain.

2. Squeeze the cucumber to remove excess moisture and place into a small bowl. Add the remaining ingredients to the sauce and stir well to combine. Cover and place in the fridge to let the flavors meld while you cook.

3. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the seitan bits and garlic and stir until the seitan begins to brown. Add all of the seasonings and stir well. Sautee until the seitan is well cooked and fragrant. Turn off the heat.
I used Upton brand, Traditional flavor. Purchased at Whole Foods

4. Assemble the sandwich with the shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and onions, cooked seitan and cucumber sauce. Eat open-face or fold up.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Live green, not red!

Play PETA's Mario McCruelty game! (SUPER FUN!)