Thursday, July 21, 2011

Yummy Vegetarian "STROGO"

One of my favorite meals- adapted for my vegetarian lifestyle! Check out my recipe for a DELICIOUS "Beef" Stroganoff! For this meal I was inspired by PETA's "Classic 'Beef' Stroganoff" recipe, which was way too high in sodium and in not-so-natural ingredients. I adapted the recipe to include ingredients from my mom's own "Beef Tips & Noodle" recipe to create a more healthy, natural, and of course, vegetarian dish. For extra flavor and even less sodium, try making the cream of mushroom from scratch, or better yet, make a vegan version!

And believe me, for a college student who is used to having her dinners cooked for her by a dining hall or mother...this dish is easy enough to make and feed your whole family!


Click the jump to get read the recipe!

Ingredients:
1 package of Vegan Burger Crumbles (I used Boca, MorningStar Farms works too)
1 pkg onion soup mix (optional...adds sodium)
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 pt Fresh mushrooms, rinsed
1/2 cup red wine
1 pkg Egg (or Egg-less) noodles, cooked and drained
1 tbsp vegetable oil

Directions:
  1. Brown burger crumbles in vegetable oil (or follow directions on package to brown), until cooked through


2.) Add onion soup mix (if desired), mushroom soup, fresh mushrooms, and wine. Simmer on low heat.


(Yes, I realize at this point the mushroom/onion soup simmer starts to resemble the pigs feet in "Precious (Base on Nol by Saf)". I assure you, Mo'Nique won't come after you with a frying pan for making this delicious dinner!)

"I wis I cud hav Strogo fo dinur"


3.) Serve mushroom and "burger" crubles sauce over Egg Noodles. Enjoy!

**Can also be made with Beef-less tips instead of crumbles (try Gardein brand). Vegetables can also be added if desired (brocolli, peas, spinach, steamed or raw)

As you can see, my mushroom sauce and "burger" crumbles were simmered and browned seperately. That's because my family (who I was cooking for) was concerned they wouldn't like the "burger" crumbles, so they wanted them served on the side of their dishes. I would recommend cooking the soup and other indgredients in the same pan as the crumbles, as directed. That way, the crumbles can soak up some of the flavor as the crumbles are intended to do. And it's no wonder my family didn't like the crumbles, since they didn't want the crumbles to simmer in the sauce, the crumbles had a bland flavor!Yeesh.

Plus, it creates another dish to wash.

I will defintely be making this yummy, meatless Strogo again! Try it out with your family, and tell me what you think!

Peas and <3,
Vic


No comments:

Post a Comment

Live green, not red!

Play PETA's Mario McCruelty game! (SUPER FUN!)