Monday, August 15, 2011

Southern Style Breakfast Burrito

Brinner: Breakfast for dinner. It's a novelty that has captured the fascination of Americans for generations... 
...What is this, the Food network?

Everyone loves Brinner. There's something fun about eating certain foods most specifically used for breakfast at the wrong time- a silly way to break the rules. It's one of those "special" meals that you don't get to eat so often, yet it's so simple. That's what makes it a great dinner option for a busy mom, a college student (moi), or a practicing surgeon...



Or you know, you just feel like making something simple and you don't have any other food in kitchen.

I came up with this SUPER SIMPLE recipe because I had to make dinner for myself, but I didn't feel like doing anything fancy because I'd been at work all day. Also, the meal was just for me, not my family, but it could be easily made for a group. I was also limited by the ingredients available to me in my family's kitchen, and I didn't feel like another black bean burger on a bun, so I improvised and came up with....

This Southern Style Breakfast Burrito!


TaDa!


So go on, be a rebel. Click the jump to read the recipe, it can easily be made Vegan!

Ingredients:
2 Eggs
1/4 Cup Milk (more or less to taste)
A "Scrape" of butter
1 MorningStar Farms Spicy Black bean Burger Patty
Shredded Cheese, to taste
Salsa (I used Garden Fresh Gourmet brand Nino's Sante Fe Style Black bean & Corn)

Directions:
1.) Put some butter on the pan, turn on low heat to melt while preparing the eggs. Spread all over the base of the pan.
2.) Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl. Combine with milk and cheese. (Cheese can also be sprinkled on top of the eggs after they are cooked and placed in the burrito. Either way works fine). Whisk ingredients together until mixed.
3.) Pour the egg mixture into the pan, and begin to scramble.
4.) While waiting for the eggs to heat, microwave the Black bean Burger patty for slightly less than the time specified. Then, cut it up into bite size bits.

Now you will have eggs cooking and the Black bean patty prepared.

5.) Once the eggs are becoming more firm and you have scrambled them but not yet finished, combine with the chunks of Black bean burger. They need to cook with the eggs long enough so that they are fully cooked, but not over cooked. This depends on how long you put them in the microwave. Finish scrambling the eggs and the patty together.

6.) Warm up a tortilla. Place the scrambled eggs and patty on the tortilla. Add salsa, cheese (if not already cooked with the eggs), wrap, and serve!

Om Nom NOM

2 comments:

  1. This looks great, I'll have to try it! :)


    Just a random question, but what are you studying at UMich?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!

    I'm studying Anthropology...I always wanted to be Indiana Jones ;)

    ReplyDelete

Live green, not red!

Play PETA's Mario McCruelty game! (SUPER FUN!)